Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Luck be a Lady...

That past two weekends were chock full of activity.  Some were fishing, but most was drinking insane amounts of beer, much to my dismay.

Last weekend my roommate's friends from Georgia came into town and we drank...till 5 am on Friday Night. Poor life decision? I have no qualms with people who partake in alcohol from time to time, but in this case, I had made early plans to go look for redfish tails in one of Brian and I's secret spots. This was a poor life decision. 

I woke up dazed, confused, and fully aware of the previous evenings events.  I gathered my fishing gear and loaded the kayak into the truck and was off. Brian, who has sense moved out in preparation for his marraige, met me at the launch.  I sucked down a Capri Sun and a bottle of water (Capri Sun was left over from the previous evening's "Capri-la" Tequila Shooters) and we were off. I was hung over.

As I battled the hangover, each paddle seemed to taunt me. The bayou opened up into Brian and I's favorite marsh and we began to search.  As my brain throbbed, redfish tails and feeding frenzy's eluded me.  Off in one of the bayou offshoots I noticed some surface activity. Must have been the sensitivity to light and sound...

I tossed my supreme hair shrimp at the swirl and instantly there was a slurp on the surface.  Suddenly a missile shot out of the water and spit my hook. I found a lady fish.  No luck, payback by the fishing gods for thinking that I could kayak fish with a hangover.  Off to my right, another swirl within casting distance. I once again placed the shrimp near the shore and this time, a bigger lady fish took. This one decided to stay hooked. After a lively fight (I thought I had found a Baby Tarpon bastion, which would be the first I heard of in Mississippi) I landed him and got a few shots.

I'm not hungover...

INHALED...
This day produced no redfish.  They were there, but the tides were higher than typical and even low tide wasn't low enough. Also, the previous week was wet and rainy; no doubt reducing the salinity and sending the bait that had been in the bayou previously out into the Mississippi Sound. Honestly though, I think this was the lesson the fish god's have tried to teach me before.  Late night drinking and early morning fishing typically don't mix, unless you get a lady to take your shrimp. Yes I went there.

This past weekend, I went to Ellijay, Georgia at the base of the Appalachian Mts. We stayed approximately 10 miles from the trail head for the Appalachian Trail, on the Coosawattee River. The cabin was amazing and we celebrated Brian's Bachelor party.

As would be expected at a Bachelor Party, I spent the weekend intoxicated or hungover, which once again caused my plan to have a successful story to post from the Coosawattee to go awry. I managed to catch two small bluegill in a slow moving pool on the river. Sorry, no pictures.  There was, however, a foe swimming in the Coosawattee that I am traveling to Michigan to try my hand at.  After walking up on the Golden Ghost, I got an opportunity to see how spooky they can be, which I think will be a valuable lesson during my travels.

Thursday, I travel home to try to get an opportunity to land a Carp on the flyrod. Blog posts to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment