Sunday, February 17, 2013

Dead of Winter

From my earlier blog posts, you'd get the idea that the fishing around the Gulf Coast stays pretty regular throughout the year.  Well, that's definitely not the case.  It's that time of year where your early morning alarm clock rings to go fishing, you roll over to check the weather forecast, and, more times than not, you roll back over and turn the alarm clock off.  For about a month now, the temperatures rarely climb above the lower sixties and the water temperatures reflect that.  The reds still stage in the shallows, but they seem to be more opportunistic.  They sit in cuts and channels and ambush passing prey.  From the vantage point close to the water in the kayaks, it's very difficult to pinpoint their positions and more difficult to catch them

Because of this, Michissippi Fly and myself planned a trip to Pensacola to target Little Tunny (Bonita, False Albacore) in the surf. That trip was a complete bust fishing wise.  Although a little cool, we still managed to enjoy the time we spent with the ladies in our life.

This little guy came right into camp, no worries whatsoever! Could have captured him, but I didn't want leperacy.



We also did some prospecting up in Moss Point, MS.  Every time I drive east on I-10 past Moss Point, there is a particular stretch of water that I have been wanting to check for tailing reds. We decided to get a late start and go up that way and check it out.  I saw several fish and had several legitimate shots at catching them.  My accuracy was not spot on that day and I ran into a problem I never had before. The redfish were drawn to that spot because of the endless sprawl of downed limbs and lumber that held bait.  However, if you did not place your fly directly upon the fish or near by, two or three strips would cause a snag which would then spook the fish.  It wasn't my day to catch a fish, which I realized when what seemed like a perfect cast hurled over and as the loop unfurled, the wind caught the fly and sent it barreling into a nearby log. The subsequent thud alerted the drum (unsure if it was black or red) and sent him barreling to the deep channel nearby.

Shoeless in Moss Point
From that trip, I decided I needed to add a weedless slightly weighted fly to my arsenal.  I modified the well known borski slider to be a bit more grungy looking based off an online recipe and this was the result. (Planning on a recipe soon to come.)


I got to test it out today in a spot between Pascagoula and Gautier and picked up this little rat.  I'm hoping that I can catch some bigger ones up in Moss Point next time I get the opportunity. Other pictures from this trip are below.


I struggle with this blog sometimes.  I feel obligated to post successful fishing trips regularly and when I don't I get frustrated. That's just not fishing though, is it?  If the trips were successful each time, everybody would fish and love it. You have to find the bright side to all such situations so you can keep coming back for the good times. My bright sides are as follows. My proficiency with my new GoPro Camera is increasing as I get closer to my goal of a video edit of my fishing trips catching tailing reds.  I found some new places to fish that should produce when the weather gets better and supply great shots of tails in the fall for my edits. I also have taken the down time to hit the vise and learn a new pattern which will help for new "terrains" where redfish may be hiding.  Finally, I joined the local saltwater fly fishing club, The Historic Ocean Springs Fly Fishing Club (HOSSFLY) at the recommendation of one of the fly fisherman I fished against in my tournament win this fall.  I think this will provide me several new opportunies and help me network and pick up some new friends and local fishing knowledge.

While I was on my kayak today, I chatted Michissippi's ear off on everything.  It made me realize something. I have a lot to say and have learned a good bit since I've started fly fishing.  Tying recipes, opinion columns and gear reviews, tactics, and general opinion type posts will be put up for your viewing pleasure.  Please stay tuned.  I'm very excited about where I want to take this blog.

1 comment:

  1. well fishing is one of the best out door activities. i really feel great to see such kind of blogs.Nice informative blog.
    Deep sea fishing in Dubai

    ReplyDelete